The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) invites excellent overseas young scientists to apply, on the basis of UCAS, for China’s Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Overseas) sponsored by the National Natural Science Foundation of China.
I. About the Fund
China’s Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Overseas) aims to attract and encourage overseas outstanding young scientists (including young Chinese scholars without Chinese citizenship) with good achievements in areas such as natural science and engineering technology to return (or come) to China to work. The fund empowers the scientists to conduct innovative research in their chosen fields, promotes the fast growth of young scientific and technological talents, fosters a number of outstanding talents on the international science frontiers, and contributes to the development of China to become a leader in science and technology.
1. The Fund applicants should meet the following qualifications：
1) Abide by the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China, have good scientific integrity, and uphold the spirit of scientists in the new era;
2) Born after September 1, 1980;
3) A Ph.D. degree;
4) A major research direction in natural science and engineering technology.
5) Have served, before April 30, 2021, in formal teaching or scientific research positions in overseas universities, scientific research institutions or R&D departments of enterprises for more than 36 consecutive months. The requirement for years of working can be reduced if the applicant has obtained a Ph.D. degree overseas and made great academic achievements;
6) Have obtained scientific research or technological achievements recognized by peer experts, and demonstrated the potential to become academic leaders or outstanding scientists in their fields;
7) Guarantee of full-time work in China for at least three years during the project implementation for applicants who have not yet returned to work full-time in China, or returned to work in China after September 1, 2019. Applicants should quit their jobs overseas once they receive the funding.
2. Application limit
1) The application limit of the Excellent Young Scientists Fund set out in National Natural Science Fund Guide to Programs 2021 also applies to the Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Overseas). Applicants shall only apply for or undertake one type of project among the same level of government-sponsored talent plans. Those who have undertaken a project at a higher level may not apply for one at a lower level.
2) Applicants for the Excellent Young Scientists Fund may not apply for the Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Overseas) in the same year.
1. Remuneration: no less than 600,000 yuan annual salary.
2. Scientific research start-up funds: 5-7 million yuan (including the supporting funds from the government). A case-by-case approval scheme will be used under special circumstances.
3. Accommodation: applicants can rent apartments provided by UCAS, or buy an apartment in Huairou District at preferential prices
4. Settlement allowance: applicants can apply for no more than three million yuan settlement allowance.
5. Personal subsidies: personal subsidies will be provided according to certain policies of China and the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
6. Others: successful applicants will gain tenure-track positions. They can enroll a certain number of graduate students each year. UCAS will help their children get schooling.
IV. How to apply
Applicants should send their CVs to email@example.com before April 20, 2021. Please specify in your email that you are applying for the Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Overseas), which UCAS school or college you are interested in, and what your research direction is. You should include in your CVs basic personal information, contact details, study and work experience, and major academic achievements (papers, projects, patents and awards, etc.). You can also contact directly the school/college you want to cooperate with. For such information, please log in to the official website: www.ucas.ac.cn.
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) is a research-oriented university characterized by integration of scientific research and education. Guided by the principle of integration of scientific research and education, UCAS is integrated closely with scientific research institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in terms of management system, faculty development, training system and scientific research.
There are 1,620 undergraduates and 51,700 graduate students studying at UCAS. Doctoral students make up 52% of the total graduate students. UCAS ranks top one among Chinese universities in terms of the number of doctoral students, and has one third of China’s doctoral students of science. There are 1,734 foreign students from 96 countries, among whom 1,055 are doctoral students, ranking among the top in China.
UCAS has 43 first-level disciplines authorized to offer doctoral degrees, 55 first-level disciplines to offer master’s degrees, 13 majors for undergraduate students and 12 postdoctoral research centers.
ESI disciplines: two disciplines rank among the top 1/10000, eight disciplines among the top 1/1000, and 18 disciplines among the top 1/100.
According to the results of the fourth round of discipline evaluation in China, 30 disciplines of UCAS were rated as Class A, including 18 A + disciplines.
UCAS has 23 major national science and technology facilities, one national laboratory, two national research centers, 73 national key laboratories, 189 key laboratories of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, eight national engineering research centers, 17 national engineering technology research centers, and 12 national engineering laboratories.